Volunteers are at the heart of ITEA, and our strength is a result
of the time and effort provided by those who volunteer to serve.
ITEA is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, and Committees are established to assist the Board in this governance. Committees may have specific memberships, or may be open to any member of the Association. Committees are designated to make policy recommendations to the board, to undertake long-term assignments, and to carry out the work of the association.
Committees are directly responsible to the Board of Directors. Committees may not commit to expenditure of funds and may not express opinions or represent positions in the name of ITEA unless specifically authorized by the Board. If proposing a program or activity that may involve expenditure of funds, Committees must submit a program description and budget to the Executive Director for inclusion in the Association budget that must be approved by the Board before undertaking the program or activity.
The Committee Chair and the Executive Director, working in partnership, are responsible for facilitating the work of the Committee, providing oversight, and ensuring timely communications within the Committee and between the Committee and others. The Executive Director also provides logistical support for the Committee's work.
Most ITEA Board Committee meetings are conducted on a quarterly basis, usually several weeks prior to the next scheduled ITEA Board meeting, via telephone conference call.
Committee Chair Responsibilities
- With the Executive Director: Develop a work plan that will allow the Committee to effectively and efficiently discharge its responsibilities; Develop agendas and conduct Committee meetings; and, Ensure that the work of the Committee is carried out between meetings,
- Approve reports of Committee meetings before their distribution, reports on Committee activities, and requests to the Board of Directors.
- Report to the Committee on decisions of the Board of Directors or Executive Committee that affect the Committee's work or activities.
- Where appropriate, guide the Committee in proposing products and services that will further the goals and objectives of ITEA, and make policy recommendations to the Board of Directors.
Committee Members Responsibilities
- Fully participate in Committee activities by attending meetings and conducting business by telephone and written communications.
- Act in good faith and in the best interest of the association, not on behalf of their own personal interest or even that of a constituency group of which they feel a part.
- Take on responsibilities and commit to fulfilling them in a timely manner.
- Disclose real or perceived conflicts of interest, and refrain from voting in these instances.
- Refrain from discussions or activities that may violate antitrust laws.
Executive Director Responsibilities
- Provide thorough orientation for each new Committee Chair, and assist the Committee Chair in providing orientation for new and continuing Committee members each year.
- Work with the Committee Chair to develop a plan of work that will allow the committee to effectively and efficiently discharge its responsibilities for the year.
- Work with the Committee Chair to develop agendas and conduct effective meetings.
- Provide administrative support for planning and execution of all Committee meetings.
- Draft reports of Committee meetings for review and approval by the Committee Chair.
- Work with the Committee Chair and other Committee members to ensure that the work of the Committee is carried forth between meetings.
- Facilitate communication of Committee activities, including requests for action and/or proposed policies, to the Board of Directors.
- Report to the Committee Chair and Committee as a whole on decisions of the Board of Directors or Executive Committee, or other ITEA Committees which impact the Committee's activities.
- Where appropriate, assist the Committee in proposing products and services that will further the goals and objectives of the association.
If you have a desire to contribute to ITEA’s ongoing development and management of the Association’s governance, services, and guidance for the profession, you are encouraged to learn more about our volunteer opportunities. Please contact James Gaidry, ITEA Executive Director, by e-mail at